Sunday, May 9, 2010

Sermon, 6th Sunday of Easter

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you." (John 14:27)

On this Mother's Day, 2010, my thoughts have turned to leaving. In the Carolinas, at least, the tradition is that men and women wear a carnation in honor of their mothers, red if she is still with us, white if she has gone to that other shore. Since it was Laura who taught me that tradition, as an adult I have always worn white. My mother left too early. And yet, is that not the central mission that mothers, with some assistance from fathers, to teach their children to leave? To become productive citizens, charitable and loving Christians?

In other cultures, children are not taught to leave. They are taught to remain part of the extended family for generation after generation after generation. It would never occur to a Pashtun family in Afghanistan to teach their children that at some point they should leave home. But for whatever reasons, our culture is very different. Our family culture is one of leaving.

We heard last week that even Jesus is leaving. "Where I am going, you cannot come," He told his disciples. And so begins what scholars call the "Farewell Discourse." For four chapters, Jesus tries to help his friends understand two things. First, that He has to die. Second, that He will return to them. Sure He has to leave. But there is a happy ending to this story. Of course, none of that makes the leaving any easier. Mothers and fathers raise their children to leave home. Then they trust that, occasionally but not too often, they will come back. We trust in that coming back, and we hope for that coming back. But it doesn't make the leaving any easier.

But in today's Gospel, Jesus doesn't just say that He is "leaving his disciples. He says that He is leaving them with something. When He "leaves" his disciples, they will inherit something from him. "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you." It is not any peace of this world that Jesus gives. Any peace that the world gives is temporary. Nations make treaties and then break them. Politicians make coalitions and break them. Businessmen make profits, and then see their businesses fall to competitors. Whatever sense of peace you try to construct from whatever material the world gives you is only temporary.

So when Jesus says, "my peace, not as the world gives," what is He talking about? The best description that I can come up with for this kind of peace is freedom from anxiety. Consider when Jesus is giving this peace. It is Thursday night. Judas has already left to go get the Temple guards and bring them to arrest Jesus. His death is less than 24 hours away. Yet he shows not an ounce of anxiety. He trusts that He is doing the will of His Father. He trusts that whatever suffering the world is about to inflict on Him is as temporary as the world's peace. And so He can endure whatever is to come, free from fear, free from bitterness, free from anxiety.

Of course, that's all easy for Jesus to say. What about us? I've had my share of anxious moments these past two weeks. But they have come and gone. They have been temporary. And after those moods pass, what is left is peace, not as the world gives. Shelter is temporary. Books and CDs are temporary. Cars are temporary. Pictures are temporary. Whatever we grasp to give ourselves some "peace" is temporary. What is everlasting is the peace that comes when we focus only on what God wants for us, as individuals and as a community. God wants only the best for us and for Albertville.

Our task now is to pray and talk, to share our perspectives on what it is that God wants for us. When we are honest and respectful, and forgiving of each other, then we will inherit the peace of Jesus Christ that never leaves.

2 comments:

Russ said...

Well done David. I am disappointed that we were unable to make it this morning, one of those nights. The sermon was touching, and it was the reminder that I needed, because I can remember, way back in the day, all my heart ever longed for was peace. For many years I was convinced that the world could provide the peace I needed,but I was so wrong. I finally found that peace, and it endures all things. Even during the worst of moments my heart is filled with joy, because I know that I am loved, and because I know that peace He gives is my own. Thanks be to God.

Glenda said...

David, the children's sermon was especially good today, even for a really grown up kid like me.The breathing exercise was a beautiful way to explain how close the Holy Spirit and Jesus are to us. I will use that when I feel anxious and scared( often, these days) to remind me that the Holy Spirit is a part of my being and comes into me as I inhale and drives fear out when I exhale. Thank you for this lesson.