Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Passion for Christian Unity, Day 1

Here I am the National Workshop on Christian Unity, one of the premier "ecumenical" events in the country. "Ecumenical" means "universal." The Ecumenical movement has included Christian leaders from all denominations to understand each other better, and to achieve as much unity in the Church of Christ as possible. I'm here because I'm the Diocesan Officer for Ecumenical/Interfaith Relations, a position in which Bishop Parsley asked me to serve. Some are here for the 3rd, 4th, 10th time. Clearly, the breaking down of denominational walls is a passion for them. I confess that it wasn't as much a passion for me.

Over these past six years I have lived out greater disagreement within my own denomination than with other denominations. So much of my development as an ordained minister has been in the context of conflict and schism. From my internship with a parish that voted to leave The Episcopal Church (TEC) to my time with loyal Episcopalians forced to leave their church home, I had to develop a strong sense of what it meant to me to identify myself as an Episcopal priest.

As a result, I've found myself compelled to emphasize the strengths of TEC. I think that we Episcopalians try harder than any other Christian denomination to balance a healthy respect for tradition and an equally healthy respect for innovation. I think we try mightily to respect the basic statements of our Christian faith (the Apostles' and Nicene Creeds) and equally respect the individual spiritual journeys of those who explore their questions about those creeds. As a still new Episcopal priest, I have felt called to emphasize what it is that makes us Episcopal in my teaching and preaching. Now that I'm swimming in a sea of evangelical Protestantism, I often feel even more pressured to defend the Episcopal Church as "Christian." I want the children before me on Sunday to stay in TEC as they mature.

On this first day at the National Workshop of Christian Unity, I've felt a bit like the deep sea diver coming up from deep water and having to decompress, and finally coming up on a wide sunny shore, unsure of my bearings. Hearing Roman Catholic Archbishop Wilton Gregory deliver the keynote address has reminded me of those years when the Roman Catholic Church was my spiritual home. This afternoon I heard some good news that Episcopalians and Methodists may be getting past our mutual misunderstandings. This might actually allow us and Methodists to celebrate the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper together!

And tonight, The Episcopal Eucharist saw Episcopalians and Christians from other denominations join together, since non-Roman Catholics can't receive communion at their Eucharist. But a Nun came to our service, as an ecumenical sign of the unity we all desire. She could not take communion but she was with us in spirit. I loved our Episcopal worship tonight. But I am reminded this week that my mission, our mission, is ultimately not to make everybody Episcopalians, but to make everybody children of the Father.

No comments: