Thursday, September 24, 2009

Shining as One

On the Daily Office Blog, I wrote today that when Jesus says, “Let your light shine,” he isn’t saying that to you, or me, as isolated individuals.  Jesus is saying to the community of disciples; let your light shine as one.  The more of you that shine together, the brighter that light will be for all the world to see.  Perhaps we should change the words of that traditional hymn to, “This little light of ours, we’re gonna let it shine.”

The other day, I read an interesting blog post in which the author bemoaned the loss of civility, with the loss of civilization not far behind, perhaps.  The angry town halls this past August: the proliferation of “news” that is tailored to fit one’s predisposed opinions, be they conservative or liberal: all are evidence that we are losing the ability to talk to each other about disagreeable subjects in an agreeable tone.  According to “Tim,” the author of this post, the root of our uncivil culture is identity.

“I and others have staked our identity on a plethora of outward ‘forms’: Right/left, Democrat/Republican, Conservative Christian/Liberal Christian, patriot/expatriate, on and on.”  The way that I would put it is this: Seeking safety in numbers, I stake my identity on a certain “tribe.”  And having staked my sense of who I am on that tribe, any disagreement with another tribe isn’t really about the issue; it’s about me, my sense of vale and self-worth.  No wonder disagreements about “issues” really degenerate into shouting matches when our very existence is in question.

Jesus asks us to stake ourselves on Him.  Jesus asks us to recognize our poverty of spirit, or total need of God, to reveal who we really are to us.  God knows who we are far better than we know ourselves.  For us to know who we are requires the stripping away of all the false identities we have worn for so long, that we think of them as our skin.  Once stripped, then we are free to be who God wants us to be, together, so that our lights may shine as one.

Is that daunting?  Absolutely.  To be a community where our lights shine as one requires a level of mutual honesty and vulnerability that is not easy to attain.  In addition to the risk of getting hurt, there is another obstacle that is particular to churches:  the fear of conflict.  We know we’re supposed to love each other.  So when something happens that upsets us, we who call ourselves Christians are tempted to sweep our anger under the rug.

But what I have found is that when we come to each other in love, then that love tempers our expressions of conflict.  That love keeps us open to the truth that is bigger than one person’s grievance, and the other’s defensiveness.  Out of these “conflicts,” then, emerges a deepened understanding of ourselves and our brother or sister in Christ.  In this way, conflict can be made holy, the way in which Christ cements our loyalty to each other.  Risky?  Yes.  But would you rather risk being hurt, or being alone?

3 comments:

Lili said...

Fr. David:
I really enjoyed reading your blog today! It was very enlightening. Thanks for all the work, time and effort you put into these blogs. I may not always read them, but I certainly do enjoy them.
It really would be wonderful if we could ALL strip away our "false identities" and be who God really wants us to be. I think since Cursillo I have gotten closer to that. During my Cursillo weekend, I felt I became who God really wanted me to be. I have faltered since then, many...many...many times. However, I feel that every time I am on staff for Kairos or Epiphany, my "TRUE SELF"-the one GOD wants me to be-really comes out and I am back to exactly where I want/need to be. On staff for Kairos or Epiphany, we are shining as ONE, and it is really wonderful to see all these different denominations(tribes), come together for the greater good! I love it!!!
Thanks again for your words!
Love you and have a great day!!!
Lili H.+1

Fr. David said...

Thanks so much for your comment Lili. Isn't it interesting that you discover who you really are the more you help others through you work in Cursillo, Kairos and Epiphany. Reminds me of the term "Ubuntu" I referred to in a sermon. The theme of General Convention, "Ubuntu" is an African term that basically means, "I am who I because of you." In others words, the more we are in community, the more we will discover ourselves, and be at peace with ourselves. Thanks be to God through Christ Jesus!

Anonymous said...

Father David, that is so true of our society. It is very disheartening to see the divisions, especially in our community. Thanks for the insights and encouraging words. It helps us all to see the truth and to act on it.